Saturday, January 28, 2012

Duck


As of today I have 14 ducks in my bathroom. Yes, in my bathroom.  Did they escape from the barn? No, they were born in the laundry room! This year we have decided to hatch our own ducklings for the kids to show at the county fair. So in November, I borrowed an incubator from the 4H office and started to collect eggs from our trio of Khaki Campbell ducks.

Since the babies we show at the fair have to be born after January 1, I knew I needed to test run the incubator….I had no idea how stressful hatching poultry would turn out to be! After several weeks of no progress with our eggs, I finally had 2 eggs that showed some progression down the developmental path. Their hatching date was set for December 6th and I was anxiously awaiting their arrival.

As with all births, the actuality of ducklings hatching is not like it appears on TV. I thought a few taps and out would pop this lovely creature all perky and cute….kind of how I had pictured birth before any of my 4 children had been born.

The reality is a stark contrast. The process of hatching poultry is slow and scary….a day or so before your duckling is going to hatch; you start to hear what is called peeping. This is a soft little voice that is fully audible outside of the egg, even if no hole is yet visible. The first time I happened to hear this I thought that a bird had flown down my dryer vent! Then the laborious task of this critter actually escaping out of the egg begins. This portion can take up to 48 hours and I must confess that I found it nearly as hard to wait for the little birds to pop out as it was when I was delivering my own kids;(Minus the need for pain killing drugs of course.)

And when they finally get out, they are gross! Covered in goodness knows what, thrashing about over the other eggs as they try to get their legs under them, their necks are all twisted after being in a space ½ their length for 28 days. And let’s be clear that there is an umbilical cord…..I’ll just leave it at that…. But after 24 hours of warm air, these little critters are the picture book version of cuteness.

As I mentioned I had 2 eggs set to hatch that first date. Only one actually made it to term and hatched. So after her 24 hours in the incubator I moved her to the next home, a large water trough filled with old towels, food and water and a warm lamp filling it with warmth. And there my little duck sat, alone until more would hatch.

During those first few weeks, and most every night since, I take her out and let her sit on my lap in the living room. I would take a large towel and place it under her as she sat on my shoulder or chest. No, she was not and is not potty trained, so yes, this is not for those with weak constitutions or stomachs…..She loves to preen my ears and neck and now as she is almost full grown, I often have to remind her that my nose is just fine with out her help.

The kids and I take her out when we are playing games and she will sit with us on the dining room table. She is especially fond of playing with the spinner from “Chutes and Ladders” and frankly she’s quite good at getting you the number you need. I enjoy seeing the reaction I get when I bring her out during evening with friends and showing her to kids and adults alike. She stands so proud and preens herself, cleaning and straightening each feather. She likes to say hello to visitors by preening their hands, but don’t try to pick her up, she’s still a duck and doesn’t sit with just anyone. When I go into the bathroom to attend to the ducks, she greets me at the edge of the trough with a look of, “Can I come out and play?” She is part of our family and I will miss her presence when she is out with the others in the barn this spring.

I have yet to name her as I believe names for animals have to be inspired and I have yet to feel what she should be called. We have only named one other of our ducks, so I do not feel it is a requirement. But I should like to figure out a name as I have visions of calling out to her in the pasture, as she and the rest of the flock paddle in the pond this summer, and to see her come to me.

The thing I love most about this experience is how once again, God has used a simple animal to teach me something great. In this experience, God has shown me the value of community and time in regards to a relationship.  None of the other 13 ducklings will come to the edge of the tank when I enter the bathroom, just her. Naturally ducks are prey animals and apt to fly away from anything that walks their way, but not this duck. The difference is the time and attention I have given to her. It has made me think about the importance of fostering this same focus on friends and family. Can we really expect that we can have deep, meaningful relationships if we only visit on Birthdays and holidays? When did the business of the world at large become more important than being responsive to the needs of a neighbor?

I realize that many people I know spend more time watching TV in any given timeframe, than they spend reaching out to people around them.  And if not TV, perhaps something else, a craft or hobby….These are not terrible things to fill ones time, and they can be very fulfilling, but do they enhance community or distract you from reaching out to serve others? God created us to live in community. Do we deliberately seek out opportunities to build a great community or do we try to escape the problems that community brings to light? I don’t know, but I really feel God refining my life in the area of community and being present for others. And not just others I know well, but others I encounter during my day.

So, I’m using this little duck as a reminder. If I had chosen to let her sit in the tank alone, she would have survived, food and water are all she needed for that….but would she, and I have thrived?

 Christmas Eve 2011- My Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment